by Denise Bodart, Realityworks RealCare Product Manager
Good things happen when like-minded groups come together for a shared passion. Such is the case for Realityworks and the Alliance for Family & Consumer Sciences (Alliance for FCS), a coalition of 26 organizations representing academia, industry, professional associations and honor societies leading Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) efforts around the globe. For the past four years, Realityworks has partnered with the Alliance to assist them in enhancing the visibility and viability of FCS, and this year, I’m honored to have been made co-chair of the Alliance for FCS alongside Carol Werhan, Clinical Assistant Professor of Family and Consumer Sciences Education at Purdue University.
In my new role alongside Werhan, I will have the opportunity to represent the field of FCS by helping the alliance move their agenda forward. One initiative that I’m particularly excited about is the development of messages that clearly communicate the value of the FCS. In fact, there are four key messages we’d like to share:
1. FCS is a field of study focused on the science and art of living well in our complex world.
2. Our primary areas of focus include:
- Culinary arts, hospitality, and tourism
- Food science and nutrition
- Health management and wellness
- Housing and interior design
- Human development and family relations
- Personal and family finance
- Textiles, apparel, and retailing
Sustainable practices, consumerism, and leadership principles are woven throughout the content areas.
3. Through research, experiential education and technology, our professionals help people develop the essential knowledge and skills to:
- Lead better lives
- Be work- and career-ready
- Build strong families
- Make meaningful contributions to our communities
4. You will find our professionals in:
- Academic education (at the early childhood, elementary, secondary and higher education levels)
- Community education (for adults and youth, including Cooperative Extension programs)
- Business and industry
- Health and human services
Realityworks has been a strong advocate for FCS since the inception of the RealCare Baby® infant simulator over 20 years ago; creating relevant and useful classroom resources and skills training tools for FCS teachers is a core part of our corporate identity. We’re proud to support FCS education by exhibiting and presenting at many state and national FCS conferences, working with a variety of national FCS organizations and of course, partnering with the Alliance for FCS.
To learn more about the Alliance for Family and Consumer Sciences, go to https://www.aafcs.org/allianceforfcs/home